Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Countdown Begins - Shannon

Day before yesterday I got a text from my hunting buddy Dusty, all it said was ‘45 Days.’

This sent me into a state of excitement and panic at the same time. This text message meant 45 days until we bowhunt legendary Pike County, Illinois. I am so excited this hunt is rapidly approaching, but also anxious because I haven’t picked up my bow since turkey season (yes, shame on me).

Last year was exciting because:

1) It was my first big game harvest (ever)

2) I took it with my bow

3) It was a filmed hunt

After that hunt, bowhunting was all I could think about. I couldn’t wait until the next season. I wanted to be better, stronger and wiser.

I set practical goals for myself for next bow season:

1) Increase my poundage

2) Improve my draw and shooting form

3) Shoot further than 25 yards

I have increased my poundage, but not as much as I would like. I can now shoot out to 40 yards (rest in peace garbage cans, you were a great backstop for my arrows), but I want to push for 50. I want to say my form has improved, but that could also be wishful thinking.

Dusty’s text message reminded me it is time to dust off my Hoyt, get my booty in gear and start shooting!

No comments:

Post a Comment