Wednesday, March 31, 2010

2010 Springer Report



It is that time of year...boats are launched before the sun comes up on the Willamette and Columbia Rivers, people call in sick to work, smiling faces and shiny chrome piggies are what it is all about. Springer season is in full swing here in the Pacific Northwest!

I woke up to my alarm at 5am on Friday morning. By 5:30 I was in line at a Portland Starbucks in my Realtree jacket and boots. I stuck out like a sore thumb, but I didn’t care because in a half hour I would be in an undisclosed location hoping for a fight, with some chrome as my prize.

We had five headless herrings with no bling spinning as our guide Darin trolled on the calm water. The day before there was a lot of wind and rain, but bipolar Portland weather seemed to be in a good mood. I settled into my Springer ritual; cake for breakfast, sitting diagonal from my rod and a game of Bejewled on the iPod.

Before I could get too comfortable I saw my rod bounce a few times and then get buried instantly…..FISH ON! My heart was racing as I lept onto my rod. I kept telling myself, keep the line tight, stay square with the rod and breathe!

Darin was coaching me as I reeled. After what seemed like an eternity, I had my “moment.” I don’t have a creative name for it, but it is that moment when your Springer surfaces and you get a good look at your trophy.

I will never forget my first “moment” four years ago when I thought Springers were the size of Trout. Imagine my surprise in that moment when I saw how big Springers really were! For the record, I froze like a deer in headlights, I let my line go slack and I lost the fish.

Anyways, back to the story. With Darin’s coaching I won my fight and smiled with my shiny chrome pig! By 1pm this was the result: 4 rods and 5 fish, all keepers!


No comments:

Post a Comment